Song Creation 101
Do you want to learn How To Make A Song? If you do then you’re looking at the right page. Becoming a music writer won’t require you to perform, sell or promote music but what you need to do is to simply create one that will remain in the hearts of the listeners.
There are many ways in which you can start creating a great music and you only need to ensure that you are equipped with the basic lessons in music composition.
What You Can Do To Learn How To Make A Song
- Get Ready – This may mean that you need to commit specific times in a day in creating pieces and that you are willing to learn the basics and everything that is associated in music composition. Get yourself ready and have a positive mindset in reaching your goals. It will never be easy but learning it is going to be a lot of fun especially when you have the passion in creating music.
- Your Skills – There are different aspects in music composition that you need to learn using your inherent skills. You need to learn about coming up with great lyrics, melodies and chords or how to come up with a music as a lead sheet. You can be a solo music composer or work with other writers. Since you have decided to compose music, do what you can to develop your skills and use them together with the basic lessons in music composition. In this way you will be able to use your skills according to the requirements in creating music.
- Originality – Although it is necessary that you learn about the different genres and popular music you need to ensure that you will come up with an original piece. Never recreate other music and create pieces that speak more of your own thoughts, ideas or personal experiences. You can refer to creative music writing techniques which are made available online and learn about the best ways to come up with original pieces.
- The Length – You can create music that can last within 4 minutes and not any shorter or longer. This is why you need to come up with lines that can speak of a whole story and that can easily capture emotions. Keep in mind that the type of music that don’t appeal to listeners are those that have unattractive or boring lines. There are no specific rules in making a great line or a great music that lasts for four minutes and this is why you need to learn how you can create short but catchy lines.
- Inspiration – Inspiration and brilliant momentary thoughts don’t come as often and in days that you expect them to appear. And this is exactly why you need to be prepared and equip yourself with a pen and paper or a tape recorder so that when ideas, tunes or lyrics pop in your head you can easily capture them. You can also try finding inspiration by going out of our house and getting close to nature while doing outdoor activities. There are many things that you bring you inspiration and help you come up with a unique and brilliant music piece.
- Lyrics – Coming up with great lyrics doesn’t mean telling a story by merely putting words and rhymes together. You need to come up with a title and the type of lyrics that tells about the title of the music. In writing lyrics, you need to find the most touching personal experiences and lines that can fully demonstrate them. You may place the most striking lines in the lyrics and those lines that reflect the whole idea behind the music.
- Melodic Backbone – You can establish this by having a lyrics and a tune. Get a music instrument like a guitar or piano and try playing your lyrics with the tunes in your head. Ensure that the tune and lyrics provide the same feeling like if the tune is soft then come up with lyrics that tell about love or relaxation.
- Basic Music Structure – By understanding the basic music structure you will be able to learn playing the music well or writing it. Learn about the verse-chorus-bridge formula, verse-chorus, verse-life-chorus, the AABA formula , AAA formula and the verse-verse-verse formula. You need to decide which formula or its combinations can provide great impact on the music.
- Other Aspects – Among the many aspects in music composition that you should learn about is keeping a balance in between repetition and variety. You also need to find the hook and be able to build transition to let your lyrics blend together. Keep in mind that having great lyrics is not enough you need to allow your words to be melodious and ensure that you can captivate the soul of a listener in just one or two lines.
- Study More – Since having a music degree is not really required you need to ensure that you are always learning about the structure and techniques in music composition. If you have already written many pieces then you need to study harder and learn more things about how great music compositions are made. This will help you improve the pieces that you already have and still be on the right track.
- Rewrite And Practice – This is essential especially if some part of the music doesn’t have sense at all. You can do some improvements and try rewriting until you’re able to come up with the type of music that you really like. Listen to your music as a listener and not a writer and you will be able to judge your work objectively and identify the parts that need to be improved. If you consistently practice and you will eventually master the art of writing great music.
It doesn’t only take talent to become a great music writer but it also needs patience, passion and determination to learn and improve in the field. You may also get critiques and advices from experienced music writers as these people are usually more honest and can evaluate your works objectively.